Ewww....sour.

I have to admit, each time I pull out my sourdough starter from the fridge and start to make another batch of loaves, I second guess my actions. Is it really healthy to eat this fermented stuff? I mean, it IS baked, but does it all bake OUT (like alcohol would)? Literally, I am dumping fermented flour-water into a perfectly good batch of fresh flour and yeast. And what does it turn out? A beautiful, slightly tangy loaf of moist bread. Hm. Amazing.

I often wonder who exactly came up with sourdough. Was it a mountaineer housewife who accidently left some yeasted bread out all day for several days, then ventured to mix it into her bread recipe anyway? Was it preplanned and scientifically formulated?

I cannot begin to describe the richness of this bread....the slight tanginess (much like in buttermilk-baked goods) and the unmistakable crisp crust are second to none. It is excellent made into french toast....it is excellent eaten warm with a bit of blackberry jam...it is excellent eaten as is. (And the starter is also fantastic made into other recipes such as sourdough cornbread or sourdough flapjacks.) And above all, it is excellent lightly toasted, slathered with mayo and topped with fresh summer tomatoes, salt and pepper....a true Southern tomato sandwich. Gotta go. That's what's on my menu for lunch today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can I come over? Huh?

Death By Chocolate Cookies....amended

No more excuses