A Greek Delight

I want to take this opportunity to (once again) brag on my husband for his culinary pursuits. You see, tonight is Greek night at our home group, and Ken reserved the dessert a long time ago in his mind. He promised to make a baklava we'd never forget.

I remember the "birthday baklava" he made for me when we were dating, back in 1997. I was in awe that he would go to such great lengths and spend so much tedious time on a dessert just for me. It was better than a birthday cake....it was a birthday baklava. Ever had one of those? I highly recommend it.

He consulted our Greek friend, Nick, as to what type of nuts would be best for this particular pastry. He finally decided on pistachios, the ingredient in most Persian baklavas, but kept the spices true to the Greek origin (cinnamon and cloves).

I watched him last night as he put layer upon layer of the tissue paper-thin fillo dough, brushing each one with melted butter. The smell of it baking was fantastic, or so he says (I am still sinus-y, so I could not smell a thing. Bahh!). Today it is sitting all day, steeping in the sugary syrup, ready to be enjoyed by all of our closest friends tonight.

Ken is a culinary genius when he enters the kitchen. It is just a matter of him finding the time to experiment and create such delectable creations. I am so glad I married a man who isn't afraid to try new things, and who isn't of the idea that the kitchen is not just the woman's domain.

Oom-pah!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can I come over? Huh?

Death By Chocolate Cookies....amended

No more excuses