I'm embarrassed, but....

....I am going to renig on my pledge to learn how to make fresh croissants here in my own kitchen.

I started evaluating the things weighing against my endeavor, and I decided that these things would not make it worth my time OR money:

- Considering I buy Cabot butter (cause it's the closest thing to organic that I am willing to pay for, and cause I have a special bond with it since Ken and I saw where it is made in Vermont while honeymooning), a recipe of homemade croissants would cost me close to $3.00 in butter alone. That does not account for the cost of flour and other ingredients; it probably rounds out to about $5.00 for 16 small croissants by the time it's all over with.
- I looked at two recipes....a regular recipe from a trusted bakery cookbook said that it took 2 days to create the perfect pastry (it has to be in the fridge overnight, and for 45 minute breaks three separate times while actually folding the dough). My "quick method" croissant recipe still took a total of 12 hours. I just can't fathom spending all of that time not knowing whether they'd turn out to be delicate, flaky pastries or hard, injury-inducing bricks.
- It's humid and cloudy today. I am reluctant to venture on a bread baking endeavor on high humidity days, much less try something new involving yeast and lots of other expensive ingredients. Rain and dough don't mix.
- I decided that Ken and I can't (and shouldn't) eat 16 croissants by ourselves. The effects of freezing them are negligible; I can imagine they'd absorb freezer odors rather quickly.
- I also decided that it'd be much more fun and economical to split the ingredients with a group of friends who also want to learn the croissant-making trade. We would set aside a Saturday, don our aprons, and let the flour fly. Anyone game?

So, as reluctant as I can be, I am surrendering my croissant opportunity for another place and time. I am going to go by a bakery in town and pick up some of theirs. I can get 6 for $5, which is okay by me. It will still be a wonderful picnic, and it will still be a memorable anniversary. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can I come over? Huh?

Death By Chocolate Cookies....amended

No more excuses