Shadows of bread, lurking in the dark.....

It was a dark and stormy night. The month was July. The year was 2000. I stood in my apartment kitchen, attempting to make bread for the very first time. I held a packet of active dry yeast in one hand, a spatula in another, and in front of me was my KitchenAid mixer. I was ready.

Three hours and 3,000 tears later, my bread "loaf" sat deflated on the counter. I looked at it in disgust. Ken looked at it and even tasted it, then stifled a laugh. I hurled it into the trash can with the fury of a baseball pitcher with a losing streak. I would not touch another bread recipe for two-and-a-half years.

Enter a new resolve, a new vision for breadmaking. Enter a new brand of yeast, SAF yeast, the cheapest on the shelves, no less. Enter a determined attitude and the patience to wait for a dry, sunny day. What do you get? A beaming redhead, carrying triumphantly her first loaf of moist, fluffy, and crisp-crusted bread to the dining room table.

The rest is history. I love making bread. Once I got over the extreme fear of the whole process, I looked at it scientifically and studied the methods. I listened to Alton Brown give his science-class description of how yeast really worked. I put away my childhood horror-filled thoughts that yeast was something that was "alive" (why would I want to eat something that was still ALIVE!?). I decided the cost of flour, yeast, and water was minimal, and that I could afford a few flops. And now I am so glad I stuck with it.

I try to stay ahead of things and bake all of our bread now. I make whole wheat-honey bread for our sandwiches. I make yeast rolls for holiday dinners. I make cinnamon rolls for special mornings. I dabble with the whole sourdough thing. I even made bagels twice. And I have baguettes rising right now in my oven to serve for tonight's dinner, piping hot and better than any you can buy at a grocery store deli. I do not discount it; it is truly an art. I used to admire and wish for the ability....now I realize how much of a treasure it is to be able to have freshly baked breads at home, artisan quality (minus the wood-fired oven and fresh wheat fields I can glean myself, of course).

Quite possibly, a good loaf of bread, a well-aged round of cheese, and a close circle of friends with which to enjoy it all is very close to heaven on earth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can I come over? Huh?

Death By Chocolate Cookies....amended

No more excuses