What's Better Than Chocolate?

I had to create a "Southern" dessert for tonight's Bible study/home group at our house. I went through tons of recipes.....I considered things like banana pudding, bread pudding, pecan pie, and even peach cobbler. I always came back, though, to the simplest and the best: Deep Dark Chocolate Layer Cake.

I have tried so many layer cake recipes over the years. It never failed: Either the cake or the icing would turn out to be a flop. I would have to say that cakes have been one of my biggest culinary frustrations. I have decided to no longer trust anonymous internet cake recipes....I will instead rely on tried-and-true family recipes or published recipes that have been tested a kazillion times before they are printed for public use.

I stumbled across this cake recipe when I was crafting a birthday cake for my good friend, Suzanne, last May. I could not believe how a cake recipe that was so easy could turn out so delicious. It became my staple chocolate cake recipe from that point on. My mom adopted as her claim to fame cake, too....it is a newly begun family tradition, I guess.

So, I could not get past the fact that chocolate is always "Southern." Chocolate is a universal food....period. Anytime, anywhere, for anybody. I have included the link to the recipe for your enjoyment, also.....it is from Hershey's, so it is not a secret of mine to keep hidden. Enjoy the simplicity.
The recipe:
Hershey's Deep Dark Chocolate Cake

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can I come over? Huh?

Death By Chocolate Cookies....amended

No more excuses