Wilson Dinner Table Motto

In attempts to eat more healthfully (and frugally, it makes sense, too), we opted a couple of years ago to lessen the amount of meat we eat at our dinner table. I have come up with a repertoire of delicious, protein-rich, meatless main dishes which have become approved and even much requested. Whether it's a spaghetti with fresh summer tomato sauce, or a Middle Eastern meal of lentil mujadarra with caramelized onions, or a Korean-inspired stir-fry with seitan or tofu....we have come to embrace the fact that delicious meals do not always have to have a slab of meat as their base.

This choice becomes more dear to my heart and even more confirmed when I drive down the interstate and see those poor, pitiful chickens on the back of big trucks, pinned into cramped cages and feathers flying everywhere. I must admit that I have blinked back tears at such as sight; especially when I catch sight of one chicken or two who didn't even make it to the chicken plant before they gave up the ghost.

And then there was the wreck this very week on that very interstate where a truckload of poultry was massacred when the truck collided with another truck. Unnecessary deaths of chickens, I say.

I boo-hooed in the kitchen one day as I had to toss a package of free-range chicken into the trash after I'd forgotten to freeze it after 4 days had passed (it smelled old). I felt a bit mad as I literally apologized to the grain-fattened chicken, saying I'd made them die for absolutely nothing.

So it's probably not a good combination to be an avid animal lover AND a purveyer of vegetarian food items. Ken would be in big trouble if he weren't so close to jumping on this bandwagon with me.

In fact, Ken stumbled across this verse recently, and we unanimously decided to make it our family's verse (in relation to the dinner table, that is):

"Better a meal of vegetables where there is love
than a fattened calf with hatred." Proverbs 15:17

Nuff said. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can I come over? Huh?

Death By Chocolate Cookies....amended

No more excuses