All veggies, all the time

If my body didn't require a specified amount of fat and protein, I could literally live off of vegetables (and maybe bread, too) all the time, every day.

The garden I co-planted with Mom and Dad is giving us the firstfruits of its summer harvest, and they are rolling in. Mom and I are having to come up with creative and tasty ways to serve the bountiful assortment of zucchini, green peas, green beans, yellow squash, and cucumbers.

Tonight, I prepared an all-veggie supper for Ken and Gardner (Gardner can handle most table foods now, in small doses, in small pieces, of course!). This is one of many all-veggie dinners of this summer, I am certain.

It took me back to years ago growing up, when Mom would prepare all vegetables for many a summer dinner. We had a garden, but we also had church members who graciously donated heaps and heaps of their homegrown collards, corn, squash, and beans. We had a neverending bounty of produce flowing into our home from May until late September.

In honor of my mom's tradition, I made "cornbread fritters." These paired perfectly with the other colorful items on tonight's plates: squash-zucchini-carrot saute, dijon green bean salad, oven-fried rosemary potatoes, and pear salad.

How do you make cornbread fritters, you might ask? It's easier than you might think....and they don't necessarily have to be grease-laden, cooked in a oily skillet, either. Simply take your favorite homemade cornbread recipe (mine is on the back of the Kroger brand cornmeal container!), thin it a little bit more with some water, and cook them pancake-like on a hot griddle (electric works like a charm). Simple, yes.....but deliciously, wonderfully Southern. Try it and see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can I come over? Huh?

Death By Chocolate Cookies....amended

No more excuses