How'd we make it to adulthood!?!?


Tonight at our home group, we had a game night instead of our usual Bible study and discussion, due mainly to the fact that half of us were absent for some reason, and we needed a "light night." Among our group of themed meal cards was "kids' food night," and it was randomly assigned to this week's menu board. Oh, my.

Let me begin by saying that I have no idea how our bodies did not deteriorate or shut down by the time we reached 20, judging from the junk (most of us) ate as kids. People are way more health-conscious now than back then (at least I am), so we all see these horrors on the grocery shelves today and shudder. Yet at the time, who would've thought that Yellow # 5 would cause ear cancer in rats, or that dextrose would contribute to ADHD or hives?** I didn't.

I guess I was thinking that it'd be sort of "sentimental" to munch on foods from days gone by, letting our minds wander back to the days when we'd stand dripping beside the swimming pool scarfing down a corn dog before we dove right back in.....or when we'd eat four bags of cotton candy at the fair in one sitting. Stomachs made of steel, I tell you....stomachs made of reinforced steel.

After our coronary-physician-flagging meal tonight (consisting of corn dogs, powdered-pack mac n' cheese, Bagel Bites, PB&J sandwiches, Goldfish crackers, grape Kool-Aid, and Little Debbie Cakes), we all sat back and chewed on our Fruit Loop necklaces. We eyed one another. We all know what the other was thinking. Eating food like this is for the birds.....I mean, the kids. I think we all inwardly pined for something fresh and green to come and inhabit an empty spot on our plates. Please. Oh, please.

As a mom, I am oh-so-choosy about what goes in Gardner's mouth. Who knows whether artificial dyes are truly the cause of allergy, or what have you. Who knows exactly why a McDonald's hamburger, when left for days at room temperature, will not mold, dry up, or even look remotely different. I know I cannot prevent him from eating what he chooses when he is with friends and other people, but I can steer him in a healthier direction at least while he's eating at home with us.

Now....where are those Tums??

** Disclaimer ** I am in no way claiming any of the above foods have any ties to autism, ADHD, or whatever ailment may exist today among kids. I was just picking out those things from midair to add humor to my blog post. I am also glad that my own mom let me eat things sometimes like Fruity Pebbles, Beefaroni, and Slush 'n' Mush. I think a normal, everyday kid needs to eat those things sometimes to feel....well, normal. But I am eternally grateful and indebted to her and Dad for also teaching me the nutritional value of vegetables (especially local gardened ones), a well-balanced meal, and the discipline of self-control while at the dinner table. Thanks, Mom and Dad, for setting me on the right track from day one. I still do, and always will, love broccoli. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can I come over? Huh?

Death By Chocolate Cookies....amended

No more excuses