My real dream (one of two)

I have two dreams in life. One of which is to become an author. Writing has forever been a passion of mine. My ultimate career would be to write for a profession.

But that is only part one of my life goals (occupation-speaking). I want to be an entrepreneur baker. I have possessed a burning desire for baking ever since I was 14. I started baking even earlier than that as I helped my mom in the kitchen whip up some decadent baked goodies. When I spread my own culinary wings as a teenager, I didn't start small. I believe my first baking endeavor was chocolate-pinwheel cookies....complete with the tedious layering of two dough types and chilling for hours.

I tell Ken this all the time. I'll see a photo of a young woman holding an armful of freshly-baked, artisan baguettes while thumbing through a Southern Living magazine. Ahhh, to be in her place. I smile when I see small-town bakery windows with cute names painted onto them....I can imagine what I'd name my own bakery if I had one to name. I long for the thrill of early morning baking which beckons early morning bagel and muffin afficionados. I long to create wood-fired breads in a stone-hearth oven. I long to recreate that chewy, nutty feel of whole-grain breads that Ken and I have bought over the years from local bakeries. I long to make people smile, knowing that the way to some people's hearts is truly through their stomachs.

Maybe one day. It will take a lot of start-up funding, a lot of business know-how, a knowledge of the competition and the foresight and tact to gain the customer's loyalty. I do know that I can do a lot from here, in my own humble kitchen. Though I may not have capabilities for mass production, I can still spout out hearty, rich, and velvety baked creations at a moment's whim. I thank God for that ability and also for that passion. I am satisfied with that alone, bakery or not.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can I come over? Huh?

Death By Chocolate Cookies....amended

No more excuses