PRODUCT REVIEW: BOCA VS. VEGELICIOUS

Ken and I love veggie burgers. It is a love affair which dates back to our courtship, 6-7 years ago to be exact. I worked in a health food store part-time, and my boss made me a veggie burger one day for lunch. She put it on toasted Ezekiel bread with soy mayo, lettue, tomato, and sprouts. I hardly ever turn down new (or strange) foods, so I was eager to try it. I was surprisingly impressed with it. I looked at the packaging.....only 6 grams of fat and 12 grams of protein? I was hooked.

Then, I slowly came to see these miracle-patties entering the restaurant front. For those of you familiar with Clemson, you might remember the grill and bar called Niffer's Place (it closed in 1998, I believe). Ken and I had many date nights here, and I was intrigued to see that they had a veggie burger listed among their regular beef ones. I ordered it once, and never ordered anything else.

Ken and I rotate among lots of brands....Gardenburger's original is my personal favorite, but Ken prefers Morningstar Farms' spicy black bean burgers. The newest brand we've tried is the Vegelicious, as pictured above. They are full of true veggie flavor, not covered up by smoke-flavored fillers or an overload of soy.

Our newest favorite, though, is the meatless chicken patties put out by Boca. These are oven-fried-type patties which are delicious eaten alone as well as on a hamburger bun. Dressed up, it is hard to tell the difference between it and one of those heavily-processed Banquet or Tyson's chicken-parts patties.

I highly recommend deviating from your usual all-beef patty and trying one of these tasty, fantastic products. If you like an authentic grilled flavor, try Boca's (or Gardenburger's)"flame grilled" varieties....they taste less like an actual VEGGIE burger and more like real meat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can I come over? Huh?

Death By Chocolate Cookies....amended

No more excuses