The best pull-apart rolls, hands down

Looking for another version of rolls for dinner a couple of nights ago, I stumbled across a Southern Living recipe for Oatmeal Dinner Rolls. I usually make whole wheat rolls for nutrition's sake, but oatmeal was a good alternative. I set to work, and as I prepared for the 2nd dough rising, it became apparent that the "balls of dough" weren't balls at all, but merely awkwardly-formed heaps of mountain-peaked stickiness. Hm. Oh, well. I always say that although my food tastes good, it sure does look strange. This will fit right in.

Forty-five minutes later, though, I pulled two pans out from the oven, holding golden, fragrant rolls that tempted the tastebuds. One taste....oh, wow. These are on my permanent rotation list now. The sugar content, however, makes me a little wary....but I'm sure with trial and error I could use honey with some success.

I made one pan for our dinner (which stretched to the next evening), and then froze the 2nd pan for an easy bread option for later. Two rewards for one afternoon in the kitchen? Not bad, I'd say.

Enjoy...


OATMEAL PULL-APART DINNER ROLLS
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 cup quick-cooking oats
  • 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
  • 2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
  • 1/2 cup warm water (100 to 110 degrees)
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar

  • BRING 2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan; stir in oats and butter. Boil, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Remove from heat; let cool to 110 degrees.
  • STIR together yeast, 1/2 cup warm water, and 1 tablespoon sugar in a 2-cup measuring cup; let stand 5 minutes.
  • BEAT oat mixture, yeast mixture, flour, salt, and brown sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth.
  • TURN dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes). Place in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top.
  • COVER and let rise in a warm place (85 degrees), free from drafts, 1 hour or until dough is doubled in bulk.
  • PUNCH dough down, and divide in half; shape each portion into 16 (1 1/2-inch) balls. Place evenly into 2 lightly greased 9- x 1 3/4-inch round cake pans.
  • COVER and let rise in a warm place (85 degrees), free from drafts, 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
  • BAKE at 375 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Makes 32 rolls.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can I come over? Huh?

Death By Chocolate Cookies....amended

No more excuses