Perfection: Parfaits

I know, I know. I like to talk about far-reaching epicurian attempts on this blog, things which I whip up which take a lot of forethought, concentration, and time. Yet sometimes, one needs simplicity to enter in. You crave nostalgia. You miss the way life used to be, as a kid, when things seemed simpler and less complicated.

Enter in a dessert which has captured my heart years ago, but that I've shoved aside on my agenda for loftier recipes.....parfaits. Just the word sounds cute, doesn't it? And they are cute....individual servings of layers of creamy goodness. Light and refreshing for a hot day.....easy for kids, and fun for adults. Parfaits.

I have made numerous parfaits over the years....banana pudding parfaits, chocolate pudding parfaits, key lime parfaits, even butterscotch parfaits. I have made them with pudding, yogurt, and also jell-o. I have made them with fruit, with chocolate chips, and crumbled vanilla wafers. I've made them with granola, and also with nuts. The possibilities are neverending....I love foods which allow for such a wide expanse of creativity.

This coming week I want to try turtle cheesecake parfaits. Come fall, I want to try cinnamon apple parfaits. The delicately layered treat, served in a tall, clear glass for all to see, is one of my favorite foods on earth. They're not just 1950s fare....try it, and you'll see that people go crazy for them even now, in the age of creme brulee and gourmet ice cream sculptures. Sometimes simple is best.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can I come over? Huh?

Death By Chocolate Cookies....amended

No more excuses