I know it's not New Year's, but....

....last night, I was inspired to pull out an old favorite, an old-fashioned recipe....Hoppin' John. For as long as I can remember, Mom would make this (or a rendition of it) and collard greens for our New Year's Day lunch.

I stumbled across this recipe while looking for a way to use up some dried black-eyed peas I had lurking in my cabinets. The addition of kielbasa instead of ham is a great switch.

Great fall meal idea. I'll be using this one again for sure.

Hoppin' John (Black-Eyed Peas with Kielbasa) (from Epicurious)

1 cup dried black-eyed peas
6 ounces smoked kielbasa sausage (I used turkey kielbasa)
1 medium onion
2 garlic cloves
2 celery ribs
1/2 fresh jalapeño chile
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander leaves
Accompaniment: cooked rice

Quick-soak black-eyed peas. (Enough water in pan to cover; bring to boil and boil 2 minutes. Cover pan and turn off heat. Let stand 1-2 hours.)

Quarter kielbasa lengthwise and cut quarters crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces. Chop onion and mince garlic. Cut celery crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Wearing rubber gloves, seed and mince jalapeño.

In a 3-quart heavy kettle cook kielbasa, onion, garlic, celery, jalapeño, and bay leaf in oil over moderate heat, stirring, until onion is softened. Add peas and broth and simmer, covered, 20 minutes, or until peas are tender. Discard bay leaf and stir in coriander and salt and pepper to taste.

Serve Hoppin' John spooned over rice.

Serves 4.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can I come over? Huh?

Death By Chocolate Cookies....amended

No more excuses