Apple pie # 3

So, today I'm attempting an apple pie for the third time in my culinary life.

The first I made in the fall of 1998....Ken and I were dating, and I made a Cooking Light apple pie to take to a church youth group party. It was okay....it's tough to make a reduced-fat crust taste good. I think I used the wrong kind of apples, too.

The second pie was one I made last year, about this time. I went all out, making the crust out of REAL shortening (to ensure its flakiness), even though it killed me inside to think of the harm we were doing to our arteries. :) I used Granny Smiths, and I even got all artistic and cut out fluted heart shapes to decorate the top. It was, oh, my, delicious. Thanks to my brother-and-sister-in-law's help, it was gone within 2 hours.

Today, I make another Granny Smith version, but I am cheating. I bought a Pillsbury ready crust in the dairy section. It's not that I'm intimidated about making a crust from scratch again, it's just that it's difficult to catch a toddler running around the room when you have dough between your fingers and under your nails. This should remedy that predicament.

I will post results (and perhaps photos) later.

Wish me luck.

What an American tradition. Anybody else have "apple pie stories" to share?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can I come over? Huh?

Death By Chocolate Cookies....amended

No more excuses