Blueberry cobbler like no other

If you are used to the standard biscuit-topped cobblers, I beg for you to try something new.

I used to work at a "meat 'n' three" restaurant here in my hometown. The owner/cook made a fantastic cobbler recipe that was passed down from his grandmother. He would keep the same basic recipe but switch out the fillings....strawberry, peach, blueberry, apple, and even sweet potato (you haven't lived till you've eaten sweet potato cobbler!). I was inspired to learn how to copy it.

Though he didn't reveal the top-secret recipe, I was still able to gather enough information to at least see the technique for creating this luscious dessert. Unlike most cobblers where the dough is dropped on top of the fruit, this one has a layer of batter underneath piles of fruit....when the oven heats it up, the batter rises and creates a dense, buttery, flaky layer that's beyond compare.

Last night, we made the blueberry version, as seen here. I guarantee you that you won't find a better-tasting (or easy!) cobbler on the planet.

BLUEBERRY COBBLER

1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted (I used salted)
1 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup milk (I used skim)
2 cups fresh blueberries
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup sugar


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Pour melted butter into a shallow 1-1/2 quart baking dish. In a mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and milk. Pour evenly over the butter. In a bowl combine berries, water and sugar. Spoon evenly over batter, but do not stir. Bake 25-30 minutes. Batter rises to become buttery top crust. Serves 4-6.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can I come over? Huh?

Death By Chocolate Cookies....amended

Who would've thought?