Too hot for hot pasta


Yesterday was a blasting 92 degrees where we are, and the last thing I wanted to do was slave over a hot stove at the hottest hour of the day. I turned a dish I was going to serve hot into a cold dish instead.....with satisfactory results.

Before it got unbearably warm, I cranked up the oven and made four (rather odd-shaped, as usual) French baguettes. I then threw together a Caprese Salad...fresh sliced garden tomatoes topped with fresh mozzarella slices, pesto, some olive oil, salt, and pepper. I then set to work on the main dish, a Whole-Wheat Penne Pasta with Tomatoes and Olives. It is a recipe that I came up with, inspired by a dish out of Vegetarian Times Cooks Mediterranean.

The fresh basil packs a punch in this colorful, filling dish. I suggest eating it either at room temperature (antipasto-style) or chilled. Fresh summer tomatoes are a must for this fresh-tasting dish. And don't skimp on the feta.

Whole-Wheat Penne Pasta with Tomatoes and Olives

8 oz. whole-wheat penne pasta (dry)
1/2 c. green olives, halved
1/3 c. shredded fresh basil leaves
2 T. extra-virgin olive oil
2 T. balsamic vinegar
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 T. capers, drained (optional)
1/2 t. dry red pepper flakes
2-3 large tomatoes, chopped
4 oz. crumbled feta or goat cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Cook pasta till al dente; drain. Rinse with cool water. In large serving bowl, combine olives through tomatoes. Add pasta; toss well. Add feta; stir in gently. Serve at room temperature or chill till ready to serve. Serves 4-6.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can I come over? Huh?

Death By Chocolate Cookies....amended

Who would've thought?