Jumbo on flavah

One of my all-time favorite breakfast treats is blueberry muffins. Since they were sugar-laden, Mom didn't make them too often for us growing up. I can remember them on Saturday mornings and holidays, mainly....and oh, were they special. Hot from the oven, slathered with real butter, the berries bursting and steaming all at once when we ate them.

I have been bombarded with blueberries for two weeks.....not that I'm complaining! I came to my wit's end tonight as to how to use them up. A baked good, no doubt, but what? Blueberry buckles and pies are too time-consuming and aren't too tasty left over the next day. No time to make jam or sorbet. Ah! Muffins. Yes, it's nearly 8:30pm, but any time is a time for muffins in this house.

I make a 12 muffin recipe into a 6 jumbo muffin recipe. Topped with coarse turbinado sugar, they glistened as I brought them from the oven. Perfection, especially with a cold glass of milk. I felt like I was in a coffee shop instead of my humble study.

Here is the recipe I run to always when I crave these. You won't be disappointed with this tried-and-true version:

Grandpa's Blueberry Muffins (from "The Family Baker")

2 large eggs, at room temp.
1/2 c. plus 2 T. milk
1/4 c. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted, or canola oil
2 c. unsifted all-purpose flour
1 T. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
2/3 c. granulated sugar
1-1/2 c. fresh blueberries, picked over, rinsed, and blotted dry (or whole frozen blueberries rinsed and rid of all ice particles)

Topping:
granulated sugar (or turbinado)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and melted butter. Place a sifter over the bowl and measure into it the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Sift into liquid ingredients and mix just to blend; don't overbeat. Gently stir in the berries.
Divide evenly among 12 greased muffin cups, and generously sprinkle tops with sugar. Bake 18-20 minutes, or till golden brown on top and cake tester comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Serve warm. Makes 12.

(to make 6 jumbo muffins, reduce oven temp. to 350 and bake 25-30 minutes)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can I come over? Huh?

Death By Chocolate Cookies....amended

Who would've thought?